This guide provides former NHS Digital colleagues (those with a @hscic.gov.uk account) with everything they need to know about the migration to nhs.net, including details on what is in scope and key dates for the phases.
1. What is happening?
Former NHS Digital users will be moving fully to the nhs.net tenant for their collaboration workloads. Following the Switchover, you’ll have a single point of access to your Office 365 applications and features, such as Microsoft Teams, OneDrive and SharePoint. Accessible in one digital workplace, across all your devices.
In later stages, colleagues from the other former organisations that make up NHS England will also be moved to nhs.net so that all users can collaborate from one place. You can find out more about the benefits the project will bring here.
2. Migration approach and phases
The following workloads will be migrated to nhs.net:
- OneDrive, SharePoint & Teams files/folders: All files/folders will be migrated to nhs.net. Teams & Groups will be recreated with membership and permissions replicated in the new environment.
- Teams & Channels: All Teams that you are a member of will be migrated including the channels, channel conversations and apps associated to your Team (Teams owners can find Teams-specific Switchover Day guidance here).
- Planner: All Planner boards & tasks associated to existing Teams/Groups will be migrated to nhs.net.
- Power BI: Any Power BI workspaces, reports and dashboards will need to be self-migrated. Guidance for Power BI owners can be found here.
- Power Apps & Automate: Any Power Apps or Automate (Flows) will need to be self-migrated by users to nhs.net at the appropriate point in time. Guidance for those who have created Apps and Flows can be found here.
The following diagram shows the workloads moving to nhs.net by phase…
NHS Digital’s migration process has 4 parts, Change Freeze, Copy Commence, Switchover 1 and Switchover 2:
- Copy Commence (end of May): When your data starts being copied to nhs.net.
- Change Freeze (Early June): To ensure the migration picks up all relevant data we are implementing a change freeze to the NHS Digital Office 365 environment. It will mean you can no longer create new SharePoint and MS Teams sites in hscic.gov.uk. Instead, new Teams will be created in the nhs.net environment by submitting a request through ServiceNow (with your line manager’s approval). You can use the MS Teams Web App to access any new MS Teams sites without having to switch identity in the main MS Teams client. Please go to ‘How to use the MS Teams Web App’ or ‘How to use the MS Teams Web App (Mac users)’ for more information.
- Switchover Day (Phase 1 – end of June): The point at which you will be using your nhs.net login for accessing OneDrive, Teams, Planner and O365 Groups (including SharePoint Team Sites associated to Teams/Groups)
- Switchover Day (Phase 2 – early July): All standalone/classic SharePoint Sites in scope for migration.
All former NHS Digital users will be kept informed at regular intervals, as we reach these milestones.
3. Migration specifics
Below shows further information on what is being migrated and key considerations.
|Application||In Scope?||Auto Migrating?||Key Considerations|
|OneDrive||ü||ü||All files/folders in your OneDrive will be migrated to nhs.net.
Please note that users who have shared files/folders from their OneDrive will need to reshare as necessary.
|SharePoint||ü||ü||SharePoint Migration is Split Into 2 Phases.
To identify what type of Site you are using, please see the guidance here: Classic versus Modern SharePoint sites.
|Teams (Groups, Channels and Files)||ü||ü||All Teams Channels, channel conversations and files/folders will be migrated. Please note that users who have created Sharing Links for files/folders in Teams will need to reshare as necessary.
Guidance for Teams Owners can be found here.
|Teams (Private Chat and Calling)||ü||✕||Chats and calls will take place in nhs.net on switchover.|
|Planner||ü||ü||All Planner boards & tasks will be migrated to nhs.net. There is consideration for Switchover, where – as part of the migration – tasks which have been assigned will re-notify users of the assignments (this is unavoidable and email notifications can be deleted by users).|
|Power BI||ü||✕||If you own a Power BI workspace, please follow the specific guidance here. We will be in touch with Power BI owners to offer additional support.
Those licensed with Power BI in legacy NHSD will have Power BI in nhs.net
|Power Apps||ü||✕||If you own a Power App, please follow the specific guidance here. If you do not self-migrate, access to Apps will be lost.
Those licensed with Power Apps in legacy NHSD will have Power Apps in nhs.net
|Power Automate||ü||✕||Power Automate Flows will need to be setup/recreated in the nhs.net environment. If you have previously created Power Automate Flows, please follow the guidance here.
Those licensed with Power Automate in legacy NHSD will have Power Automate in nhs.net
|OneNote||ü||ü||Your OneDrive OneNote notebooks will be migrated to nhs.net. You will be able to access your migrated notebooks following the Switchover Day Guidance (step 4).|
4. Out of scope considerations
Apps/Workloads not migrating from the NHSD environment:
The following table provides details on workloads not migrating to nhs.net.
|Application||In Scope?||Key Considerations|
|Wiki||✕||Please use OneNote going forward for all your note taking. Visit this blog for tips on using OneNote to improve productivity.|
|Forms||✕||Forms will not be automatically migrated. Existing Forms will remain available using your @hscic.gov.uk login. We recommend that any new Forms are created using your @nhs.net account.
Any standalone Forms will remain accessible in the existing environment. If your Form is linked to SharePoint, Teams, OneDrive, and Planner you may wish to manually migrate to nhs.net. For example, if your form is part of a Power Automate flow. We recommend creating any new Forms in nhs.net moving forward.
|Yammer||✕||Yammer is not being migrated to nhs.net as part of this phase. Users can continue to access Yammer communities using their @hscic.gov.uk login.|
|Stream||✕||Stream is not being migrated to nhs.net as part of this phase. Users can continue to access Stream content using their @hscic.gov.uk login.|
|Whiteboard||✕||Unfortunately it is not possible to move any existing Whiteboards to your nhs.net account. Users are able to download and save a copy, more details can be found here.|
There are certain Teams, Groups and SharePoint Sites which will not be migrated based on an agreed criteria:
- The SharePoint site has 0GB of data
- The Team/Group has 0 or 1 members
- Teams/Groups/Sites which have been deleted or closed
- The SharePoint site is either a Root, Project, Publishing or Project app site
If after Switchover you believe a Site, Team or Group you were a member of owner of has not been migrated, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to return to the Migration Overview page.
|Last Reviewed Date||01/06/2023|