Whilst the design and operation of a secure email system is a key part of making sure it is secure, it is also an obligation of users to make sure they use the service properly and without doing anything to compromise the security of the information that they send or receive. For this reason, every NHSmail user is required to accept the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) when they register for the service. This is their promise to all NHSmail users and the public and patients we serve, that they will be mindful of the importance of the information that they share over NHSmail.
Accepting the Acceptable Use Policy
NHSmail users are required to accept the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) to be able to fully benefit from the services available in the NHSmail shared tenant.
To minimise any impact to your day-to-day work, please follow the steps outlined below to accept the Acceptable Use Policy:
1. Log into the NHSmail Portal using your NHSmail account.
2. Wait to be automatically redirected to the Acceptable Use Policy page, where you can read the Acceptable Use Policy and agree to the terms by clicking Accept at the bottom of the page.
3. If you are not automatically redirected to the Acceptable Use Policy page, you may access it directly on the following link: NHSmail Portal – Acceptable Use Policy
4. Complete your Profile and select Next.
5. Set your Security Questions and select Save. A pop-up message will appear confirming your AUP acceptance.
Please be advised, if you have not accepted the Acceptable Use Policy in the NHSmail Portal, your ability to carry out day-to-day work might be disrupted.
Please note the update to the Acceptable User Policy (AUP) was enabled on 13 July 2022. This update will block accounts which have not accepted the AUP for accessing all M365 applications.
Microsoft 365 and Azure AD Applications
You will not be able to access any Microsoft 365 applications (for example, Outlook, SharePoint, Teams, Office 365, amongst others) or non-Microsoft 365 applications which are registered against Azure Active Directory (Azure AD). Upon attempting access, you will see the expected error message as shown.
You will not be able to fully manage your profile in the NHSmail Portal as the following navigation bar will be unavailable.
Local Administrator Permissions
Your Local Administrator will be unable to perform actions to your account, such as assigning policies and licences.
There are ever-growing services and security arrangements being implemented to the NHSmail shared tenant and your ability to use them might be affected if you have not accepted the AUP.
Document information and downloads
- Document Contents
- Download Link
- File Details
- General information about NHSmail O365 Shared Tenant
- Your responsibilities when using NHSmail O365 Shared Tenant
- General responsibilities when using NHSmail
- Responsibilities when using the NHSmail email service
- Responsibilities when using the NHS Directory service
- Responsibilities when using your calendar
- Information governance issues
- Using NHSmail services to exchange sensitive information
|File type||Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (.pdf)|
|Last Reviewed Date||14/07/2022|