1.1.1 What is the file migration and why are we doing it?
Former NHS Digital colleagues currently use two logins to collaborate across different systems and products (either @hscic.gov.uk or @nhs.net). This project looks to migrate Microsoft Teams, SharePoint, and OneDrive to the NHSmail tenant (environment), so that all colleagues can work from one place thereby easing the day-to-day collaboration between users, and ultimately negate the need for two logins.
A move to the shared environment will impact your current ways of working, and potentially require some actions from yourselves. We are working hard to minimise any disruption and will provide signposting to help and directions where possible. As we come together, the work will ensure an enhanced colleague experience across all your collaboration.
All colleagues across the merging organisations (NHS Digital, NHS England, and Health Education England) will over time migrate to the new environment. Former NHS Digital colleagues will be the first tranche of people to migrate to the new space within NHSmail.
1.1.2 What is everything I need to know in 10 minutes?
|Consideration||What do I need to do?|
|Migration Process||Be aware of the migration process – you will be emailed with dates of when each stage will impact you:
· Copy Commence: Data starts being copied from HSCIC to NHSmail.
o Please do not change the structure of your files and folders after this point.
o Please do continue to work as normal, in HSCIC.
· Switchover: The point at which you will start working in NHSmail for all migrated workloads.
|SharePoint||No action. SharePoint is automatically migrated.|
|Teams||No action. Teams is automatically migrated.
· If you are a Teams owner, after Switchover, you will need to re-pin any tabs to your Teams Channels
· No private conversations will be migrated – save any relevant information offline if you require.
|OneDrive||No action. OneDrive is automatically migrated.|
|Permissions||No action. Permissions are automatically migrated.
– If you have shared documents from your OneDrive, these permissions will not have migrated
– If you have shared files and folders from SharePoint or Teams to external colleagues, these permissions will not have migrated
|Power BI||Power BI will need to be manually migrated if you are a workspace owner. Please refer to the guidance here for information on timelines and process.|
|Power Apps||Power Apps will need to be manually migrated if you are a workspace owner. Please refer to the guidance here for information on timelines and process|
|Power Automate||Power Automate will need to be manually migrated if you are a workspace owner. Please refer to the guidance here for information on timelines and process|
|Planner||We are currently working on a solution for the automatic migration of Planner and we will update information here when we know more.|
1.1.3 What are the key benefits for migrating our files to NHSmail?
- One Identity: All colleagues will only need to use their NHSmail logins
- Outlook & Teams sync: Keep track of all your calendar activities from Teams
- @mention functionality enabled: Tag colleagues in O365 apps like Planner to improve collaboration
1.1.4 What is impacted following switchover
Below is a summary of the applications that will be impacted following the switchover:
|Application||Available in NHSmail||Auto Migrating||User Considerations|
|OneDrive||All files/folders in OneDrive, SharePoint and MS Team will be migrated to NHSmail.
Please note that you will need to reshare links with colleagues and guests where applicable.
|Planner||All planner tasks will be migrated to NHSmail planner. Following the migration, please create all new projects in NHSmail environment. The NHSmail planner offers the functionality to tag colleagues using @ key.|
*With additional license
|If you own a Power BI workspace, please follow the actions in this pack. If you do not self-migrate, access to your Power BI will be lost. Here is a link to support you with exporting the data.|
|*With additional license||If you have any PowerApps associated with the SharePoint migrated, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for extra assistance|
|Power Automate||*With additional license||If you have any Power Automate flows associated with the SharePoint migrated, please send an email to email@example.com for extra assistance|
|OneNote||Your OneNote will be migrated to NHSmail OneNote.|
|Wiki||Please use OneNote going forward for all your note taking. Visit this blog for tips on using OneNote to improve productivity.
1.1.5 When will the migration happen?
Indicative timelines for the file migration:
1st Early Adopter Group
- Stage one: Data Copy Commence – 03 April 2023
- Stage two: Switchover – 11 April 2023 (evening)
2nd Early Adopter Group
- Stage one: Data Copy Commence – 24 April 2023 (Late April)
- Stage two: Switchover – 01 May 2023 (evening)
NHSD Main Migration
- Stage one: Data Copy Commence – (Late May)
- Stage two: Switchover – (Early June)
|Last Reviewed Date||23/03/2023|