This article provides guidance for Phone System administrators on how to convert telephone number types. Microsoft Teams uses different telephone number types depending on the purpose for which you want to use the phone number.
This article will cover:
- Telephone Number Types
- User Numbers (also called Subscriber Numbers)
- Service Numbers
- Number Type Change Process
Telephone Number Types
There are two main telephone number types called User Numbers (Subscriber Number) and Service Number.
User Numbers (also called subscriber numbers) can be assigned to users within your organisation, whilst Service Numbers are numbers assigned to services such as Auto Attendants or Call Queues. User numbers can be converted to Service Numbers and vice versa.
For Calling Plans, requests to change number types can be submitted via the Phone System PowerApp. Your request will then be processed by the NHSmail service team with Microsoft on your behalf (please note this can take up to 2 weeks to be actioned by Microsoft – you will be updated on progress via email). For Direct Routing, the number type change will need to be actioned by your SIP provider directly for changes to take effect. You will then need to mirror these changes by identifying the number type change in the Phone System PowerApp.
Number Type Change
3. You will be directed to a Change Number Type page where you will be able to select the PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) connectivity type of the numbers you want to change – ‘Direct Routing’ or ‘Calling Plan’
4. Upon selecting the chosen PSTN connection – Calling Plan or Direct Routing, a variety of different options will appear below your selection.
Calling Plan | Number Type Change Process
For Calling Plans, the number change request will need to be actioned by a service team directly with Microsoft, on your behalf. The details for this request can be submitted via the Phone System PowerApp.
1. On the Change Number Type page, select the Calling Plan option as the PSTN connectivity type’.
4. Click the drop-down bar to select the Current Number Type of the numbers you wish to change, and the New Number Type the numbers are being changed to. The options are – Subscriber, Call Queue Toll or an Auto Attendant Toll.
5. After selecting these fields, you will be required to upload an attachment of the numbers to be changed. Click the ‘Download Template’ You will be provided with a template for download, to be populated and uploaded with the numbers that require changing, as an attachment in a CSV format.
6. After completing all the required fields and uploading the attachment, click ‘Submit’ to process all options and submit your request. You will be greeted by a success screen informing your request has been sent.
7. A ticket will be raised for your request to be fulfilled. You will receive a series of email correspondence on the progress of your request, and you will also be notified via email once your request has been fulfilled, and the number change process has been actioned.
Direct Routing | Number Type Change Process
1. On the Change Number Type page, select the Direct Routing option as your PSTN connectivity type.
5. Your Direct Routing numbers will now be changed to reflect their new number type in the Phone System PowerApp – these can be viewed in the Numbers landing page. You will still need to action this change with your SIP provider directly if you have not already done so for the number type change to take effect.
|Last Reviewed Date||10/06/2022|