This article provides guidance for Phone System administrators to configure Dial Plans for their organisation. A Dial Plan is a set of rules that translate a phone number that a user dials into a standard E.164 number for call authorisation and routing. Organisations will have the option to use an organisation wide default Dial Plan (provided by Microsoft) or create a custom Dial Plan for users within the organisation.
This article will outline:
- How to add, edit and delete Dial Plans
- How to add, edit, delete, test, change the order of Normalisation Rules
Adding Dial Plans
3. You will be taken to a page to add details for the new Dial Plan. These include the name and description. Under Dial Plan details, specify an external dialling prefix if users need to dial one or more additional leading digits (for example, 9) to get an external line. To do this, in the External dialling prefix box, enter an external dialling prefix. The prefix can be up to four characters (#,*, and 0-9). Then, turn on optimised device dialling (toggle). If you specify an external dialling prefix, you must also turn on this setting to apply the prefix so calls can be made outside your organisation.
Editing Dial Plans
Important note: You will not be able to edit the Dial Plan name
4. You will be shown a success screen informing you that the settings have been saved successfully.
Deleting Dial Plans
Normalisation Rules define how phone numbers expressed in various formats are to be translated. One or more Normalisation Rules must be assigned to the Dial Plan and are matched from top to bottom. For more information on Normalisation Rules, please visit Microsoft guidance here.
Add/Edit Normalisation Rule
Important note: You will be unable to change the name of the Normalisation Rule
Deleting Normalisation Rules
Test Normalisation Rules
To test how Normalisation Rules will translate phone numbers, follow the steps below.
5. The output of the test will be provided in the translated phone number field. This will show how the phone number will be translated, as per the selected Normalisation Rule.
Changing the order of Normalisation Rules
As Normalisation Rules are matched from top to bottom, the order in which they appear in a Dial Plan is important. For example, if a Dial Plan has 10 Normalisation rules, the dialled number matching logic will be tried starting with the first Normalisation Rule, if there isn’t a match then the second, and so forth. To change the order of Normalisation Rules within a Dial Plan, follow the steps below.
4. To change the order of the Normalisation Rules, select Normalisation Rules to be adjusted, and then select the left and right arrows as shown below, to remove or add them from the desired order. ‘Clear’ will remove all the Normalisation Rules from the order column.
Important note: If your new order is missing any Normalisation Rules, they will be deleted from the Dial Plan.
6. A pop up will appear, informing you that if any Normalisation Rules (that were originally included in the Dial Plan), are missing from the revised order, they will be deleted. Select ‘Continue’ to confirm the Normalisation Rule order change.