This article summarises the different NHSmail user account statuses that are applied in the NHSmail Portal.
- Active: A user account that has been used within the last 90 days and the password has not expired.
- Inactive: A user is flagged as inactive after 90 days without activity.
- Active (Leaver): These accounts are Active but marked as a leaver and are in the 30 day leaver window after which accounts are eligible for deletion.
- Locked: An account that is locked due to too many password attempts being made by users or their devices. When an account becomes locked in AD/Exchange a background process runs to update the status to Locked in the Portal. This will set the UpdatedBy field to ‘BackgroundTasks’ in the Portal.
- Deleted: Accounts that have been deleted but can be restored as they fall within the data retention period of 30 days.
- Deleted Permanent: Mailboxes that have been permanently deleted and cannot be restored.
- Disabled: Accounts where a Local Administrator has disabled an account in the NHSmail Portal.
- Enabling: An in progress status presented for a few seconds whilst an LA is enabling a disabled account.
- Disabling: An in progress status presented for a few seconds whilst an LA is disabling an active or inactive account.
- Deleting: An in progress status presented for a few seconds whilst the automated mailbox hygiene processes are running to delete eligible accounts.
- Restoring: An in progress status presented for a few seconds whilst an LA is restoring a deleted account.
- Pending: An in progress status presented for a few seconds whilst an LA is creating a new account.
- Migration Pending: When an account is in a Migration Pending status, this means they are in the process of being migrated to the cloud. This process generally takes 8 hours.
If an account is in an Enabling, Disabling, Deleting, Restoring or Pending status for an extended period of time (e.g. more than 24 hours) Local Administrators can raise a ticket with the NHSmail National Helpdesk to resolve.
For more detailed information on the account management lifecycle, please visit the data retention and information management policy guidance.
|Last Reviewed Date||26/08/2022|