When a user leaves one organisation to move to another which is also using NHSmail, their email account can be transferred. To do this, their account must be flagged as a “Leaver”. The employee’s (user’s) new organisation will then pick this up and flag the account as a “joiner”. Once they accept, the user’s details and email account are moved across to the new organisation.
If your organisation is connector managed, this process should be managed via a connector and not by the manual steps below.
To flag a user as a Leaver:
2. Use the search box to find the account you wish to flag as a Leaver
Refer to the Searching for an Entry article for more information
The message as in the screenshot will be displayed:
The status of the user’s account will be flagged as Active (Leaver) for the next 30 days. If the new organisation doesn’t accept them as a Joiner within this 30 day limit, the account will be deleted
The user will receive an email to notify them that their account has been marked as a leaver as soon as the Local Administrator has marked the account as a leaver
- If a user is marked as a leaver from their organisation, their additional subscriptions will not be removed until they are joined to a new organisation. For example, a bigger mailbox quota will remain at the larger size until the account is joined to a new organisation at which point it will automatically reduce back to 4GB. If the account is over the 4GB quota when moved, the standard restrictions on sending and receiving will apply as per the Outlook Web App (OWA) user guide.
- When a user is marked as a leaver, the following permissions will be revoked:
- All administrator permissions (Local Administrator, Helpdesk Administrator etc.
- The following permissions will not be removed when an account is marked as a leaver. Local Administrators and users should work together to resolve these:
- Access to other users’ folders (the user who has delegated the permission needs to manage the mailbox folder permissions)
- Folders that the user has granted other users permission to access (the user needs to maintain permissions they have granted)
- Delegated permissions on the user’s mailbox / calendar (the user needs to maintain permissions they have granted)
- Static Distribution Lists membership (the Static Distribution List owner must maintain the membership)
- Dynamic Distribution Lists membership (this will only be revoked when the user is joined to the new organisation or they exceed the 30 days leaver window and therefore are deleted)
- Leaver accounts will not automatically be removed from O365 related groups. LAs can view an account’s O365 group and SharePoint site membership within the NHSmail Portal and remove as required. This process allows local control of group membership and enables users, where required, to maintain membership of collaborative groups / services where appropriate. For example, a user moving to a new organisation continues to require collaboration access in a regional Yammer group or Teams site.
|Last Reviewed Date||15/12/2020|