This guide supports organisations wanting to onboard to NHSmail Teams Phone System and focuses upon the requirements to utilise Microsoft’s Calling Plan offering.
The Teams Phone System with Calling Plan is Microsoft’s all-in-the-cloud voice solution for NHSmail Teams users. It connects Microsoft Phone System to the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) enabling calls to landlines and mobile phones around the world.
This article will cover:
Types of Calling Plan
Domestic Calling Plans
This calling plan enables licensed users to call numbers located in the country/region where they are assigned in Microsoft 365. This comes in various options – with each licence providing a certain number of calling minutes to individual users each calendar month:
- 120 minutes
- 240 minutes
- 1200 minutes
Domestic and International Calling Plans
This calling plan enables licensed users to call numbers located in the country/region where their Microsoft 365 license is assigned to the user based on the user’s location, and to international numbers in 196 countries/regions. Per calendar month, this comes in 2 options (whichever one is reached first in the calendar month):
- 1200 minutes of Domestic, OR
- 600 minutes of International Calling
For more information on types of Calling Plans, please visit Microsoft guidance.
There are several purchase options for Microsoft Calling Plans, and these should be discussed with your licensing reseller. Organisations are responsible for the procurement, onboarding, and assignment of the licences to users via the NHSmail portal (for more information on this, click here).
For detailed licensing requirements to enable Microsoft Calling Plans on the NHSmail tenant, please visit this article.
Onboarding to Phone System PowerApp
Once your Phone System licenses have been procured and assigned via the NHSmail portal, your organisation will need to gain access to the Phone System PowerApp. Instructions on how to do this can be found below.
1. Local Administrators (LAs) from organisations must first navigate to Helpdesk Self Service (HSS) and go to the ‘Phone System Request’ form.
2. On the Onboarding form, select ‘Onboarding to Phone System request’ for request type.
3. Complete the rest of the fields required in the Onboarding form. You will be asked for a brief description of the rationale for onboarding, the PSTN connection strategy that will be used, the organisation ODS code and the email addresses of other users who will require access to the Phone System application to manage Phone System features for your organisation.
4. Once the onboarding form has been submitted, a confirmation email and subsequent email updates on the progress of your request will be sent.
5. Once the onboarding request has been completed, to access the Phone System PowerApp, follow the steps below (these will also be provided via email once the Onboarding request has been completed):
a. Open a web browser and access the following URL (this is required for the very first login): https://nhsmailprod.crm11.dynamics.com
b. Access Phone System App – https://apps.powerapps.com/play/8a521730-27a3-464c-b09d-3798e62ee61c?tenantId=37c354b2-85b0-47f5-b222-07b48d774ee3
6. Please note, that for your selected phone system administrator users to be able to access the reporting capability within the Phone System PowerApp, Local Administrators (LA role assigned), will need to go to the NHSmail portal and assign these users a free PowerBI license.
Calling Plan Number Management
With Calling Plans, new numbers can be purchased from Microsoft through the Phone System PowerApp. Alternatively, existing numbers can be ported over from an existing service provider to Microsoft (as the new provider) to be used with Calling Plans.
|Number Type||How do you get the total phone numbers?||Here’s an example|
|User (Subscriber) Number||The number of phone numbers is equal to the total number of Domestic Calling Plan and/or Domestic and International Calling Plan licenses multiplied by 1.1 + 10 additional phone numbers.||If there are 50 users in total with either a Domestic Calling Plan and/or Domestic and International Calling Plan license, it allows an organisation to acquire 65 phone numbers (50 x 1.1 + 10).|
|Toll service number||The number of phone numbers is equal to the total number of Phone System and Audio Conferencing licenses and uses the following:
If there are 1-25 licenses then 5 telephone numbers are given.
If there are 26-49 licenses then 10 telephone numbers are given.
If there are 50-99 licenses then 20 telephone numbers are given.
If there are 100-149 licenses then 30 telephone numbers are given.
If there are 150-199 licenses then 40 telephone numbers are given.
If there are 200-499 licenses then 65 telephone numbers are given.
If there are 500-749 licenses then 90 telephone numbers are given.
If there are 750-999 licenses then 110 telephone numbers are given.
If there are 1,000-1,249 licenses then 125 telephone numbers are given.
|If there are a total of 51 Phone System and Audio Conferencing licenses, it allows an organisation to acquire 20 toll service numbers.|
|Toll-free service number||Toll-free service numbers are not supported on the NHSmail Phone System platform|
Requesting Numbers from Microsoft | Batch Request (<200 numbers)
1. When logging into the Phone System Application, Local Administrators will be required to select a single organisation identified by ODS code to manage. A dropdown will present the approved ODS codes via the HSS process that the administrator has permission to manage. Once an ODS code has been selected, admins are able to log in to the Phone System PowerApp interface.
4. After these have been populated, click ‘Next’. On the next screen, select ‘view numbers’ to view the numbers that have been allocated for your selection. The numbers will be reserved for 10 minutes while you confirm your order – a countdown will be shown.
7. By clicking on ‘Go to Numbers’, once the order is processed, a list of available numbers to be assigned are shown. You can also navigate to ‘Order History’ from the numbers page to see a list of all historical number requests.
Requesting Numbers from Microsoft | Bulk Request (>500 numbers)
2. The process within the Phone System PowerApp will remain the same. Complete the required fields as shown.
4. You will receive an email, detailing that your request has been submitted, along with your request reference. Once your request has been actioned, you will receive the list of numbers as an attachment via email. Your request will then be closed, and you will receive a closure email.
5. Once the numbers have been provided via email, navigate ‘Upload Numbers’ from the homepage.
7. You will be required to input the ServiceNow request item (RITM) number before submitting. There will also be a template to download (please find template linked here), to populate with the requested numbers and upload. Once this has been attached, click ‘Submit’.
8. Once numbers have been uploaded, you will be directed to a page confirming bulk upload success. By navigating to ‘Manage Numbers’ from the homepage/navigation bar, you will be able to see the full available list of numbers.
2. There will be a screen containing a form with various fields for you to provide the required information needed for the porting process (i.e., current service provider’s details, porting date) – please remember to scroll down to the bottom to view them all.
3. Before submission, the numbers that need to be ported will also need to be uploaded as a CSV file. There is a template for you to download (please also find template linked here).
4. Click ‘Submit’. Your number porting request will be submitted to Microsoft on your behalf via the NHSmail service team. All subsequent communication on the progress of your porting request will be sent via email.
Please note, that upon providing the signed Letter of Authorisation, Microsoft will require at least 16 days to complete the request.