We have scheduled Microsoft Teams meetings every fortnight to support our Local Administrator community. These will be informal sessions with plenty of opportunities to ask questions. The LA webinar is held every fortnight on a Friday at 12.30-1.30pm.
The next Local Administrator (LA) webinar is scheduled for 10 February 2023.
LA webinar details
The LA webinars are hosted in the NHSmail Local Administrator Collaboration Team > NHSmail webinar channel. Please use the below link to access the meeting invite or go via the NHSmail webinar channel.
If you are unable to access the channel please contact email@example.com.
LA webinar agenda
Complaints and Escalations Process – NHSmail Support
General Updates – NHSmail Collaboration Services Team
Technical Updates – NHSmail Collaboration Technical Team
Guest Speaker – new releases/key updates, 10 minutes max plus questions
Digital Workplace – your time to highlight benefits to the wider community from utilising the shared tenant functionality, 10 minutes max plus questions
Panel for open questions – NHSmail Collaboration Services Team, NHSmail Collaboration Technical Team, Accenture Service Team
NHSmail ICS webinar recordings
For the attention of CCG Primary and Local Administrators:
A Live event was held on Thursday June 2022, 2pm-3pm to covering Guest Access, Teams Federation, Calendar Federation, Address Book Sync. Teams Loop (live demo), future tools and ICB licensing.
The recording is available below
A Live Event was held on Wednesday 8 December 2021, 3pm to 4pm to showcase the NHSmail reconfiguration approach to reflect the introduction of Integrated Care Boards (ICBs) and abolition of CCGs.
This webinar focused on how the expected April 2022 changes will be reflected in NHSmail.
The recording is available below:
Recorded LA webinar sessions
LA Webinars from 2023
- Teams Delete Status Portal issue – resolved
On Tuesday of this week, we had a recurrence of Teams showing as deleted in the NHSmail portal, which has now been resolved.
Please take into account that the problem on Tuesday was only cosmetic, and there was no loss of Teams or Teams data at any point.
- Microsoft O365 issue – resolved
Those on this call will also be aware that there was a global Microsoft issue this week that may have impacted your users’ access to O365 services.
This incident has been fully resolved and details can be reviewed on the support site:
- Portal slowness issue – resolved
On Wednesday morning, we experienced a brief intermittent issue that caused Portal slowness for some users.
This was quickly resolved with little disruption to the service.
Full information can be found on the Announcements page – INC33981101 – Portal Slowness – RESOLVED – NHSmail Support
- Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) Number Matching
We enabled number matching for all users of the Microsoft Authenticator app on Thursday evening (25 January 2023).
This is to ensure the change is managed closely, prior to the enforced change by Microsoft starting 27 February 2023.
Number matching is a key security upgrade to traditional second factor notifications in Microsoft Authenticator.
When a user responds to an MFA push notification using the Authenticator app, they will be presented with a number. They need to type that number into the app to complete the approval.
We expect this change to have no negative impacts for users and any issues should be reported to the Helpdesk.
We have also updated our current guidance to reflect the new number matching capability and the guidance can be found here:
- NHSmail access from outside the United Kingdom (UK)
We would also recommend that MFA is applied to the accounts of any users who may have a valid need to access their NHSmail from outside the UK as permitted by your organisation’s own local policies before they leave the country.
We do not recommend that users access their account via non-corporate VPNs when outside of the UK as there is a risk that their access will be blocked.
In the near future, we will be enforcing MFA on any connections to the service made from outside the UK. Where MFA is not in place, the user will be unable to access their account or any other NHSmail services.
More details regarding timelines for when this will be enforced will be added to the Announcement page of the support site shortly.
- Accessibility: Teams Live Captions
Please note that function to turn on/off Live Captions in Teams has moved and now sits under Language & Speech within the extended settings menu.
- NHSmail survey
The NHSmail survey is due to go out in early February.
- All user survey – the questionnaire will be released shortly
- Accessibility: Sign Language View – available now in Microsoft Teams
- Information Governance – update on number matching on the authenticator app
- New roadmap published: NHSmail Roadmap – NHSmail Support
- MFA, which will shortly be implemented, is necessary for access from outside the UK.Planning to change the default behaviour for new accounts to require MFA by default, and you will need to delete it if doing so puts your organisation at clinical risk
- The projects for conditional access and the phone system have begun and are scheduled to be completed in the first quarter of 2023. Thank you to everyone who responded to the deep dive survey, and please feel free to join the deep dive sessions as soon as they are announced.
- Legacy Security group housekeeping – allusers moving to allusersgroup.
- MMA – Microsoft management agent – deprecation in MDE
- Azure will no longer accept connections from older versions of the Windows Log Analytics agent, also known as MMA that uses an older method for certificate handling. The affected versions are Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2/2016. The new minimum supported MMA version is 10.20.18053.0 Expected: February 2023
- Office 2013 will reach end of Extended Support on April 11, 2023. MC482560 | December 10 – This is a reminder to post (MC357842, April 2022): Office 2013 end of support: Reduce your exposure to security risks by moving to a newer version of Office. Office 2013 will reach the end of Extended Support on April 11, 2023. This means Office 2013 will no longer receive security updates, bug fixes, technical support, or online technical content support after April 11, 2023.
- Additional guidance in CVE-2022-41099 for devices with WinRE. Devices with Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) will need to update both Windows and WinRE to address security vulnerabilities in CVE-2022-41099. Installing the update normally into Windows will not address this security issue in WinRE. For guidance on how to address this issue in WinRE, please see CVE-2022-41099.
LA Webinars from 2022
Presentation from Erin Barrett on the Portal Modernisation work.
Update from Nathan Steven on the forensics change
Reminder: this is the last webinar until Friday 13 January 2023.
Final Local Administrator (LA) Bulletin of the year will be sent on Monday 19 December.
Culley portal release went in on the 8 December. The release notes are available on the NHSmail support pages.
The NHSmail roadmap has been updated and is now available on the NHSmail support pages.
The NHSmail O365 onboarding partnership webinar and slide deck is available on the NHSmail support site for those interested in data migration options.
CIS2 – Reminder – NHSmail Services sign in page – Planned Upgrade – NHSmail Support
PLA – unable to assign a PLA, workaround is to ask the desk. KB article to be published shortly
Onboarding webinar on the 30th, open to any NHS organisation to hear about our on and off boarding offering from all suppliers. There will be a Forms to complete, invites for those registering an interest will be sent by 28th
Forensics output is to be changed – download direct from eDiscovery. Further update and guidance to be ready for next webinar
MFA – interim process for allocating MFA to more than 50 users in an org Interim Bulk Enable MFA process – Local Administrator (LA) Guide – NHSmail Support
NHS E/D merger – 6 January, brought forward from April. Everyone deals with change differently, we will continue to be professional but please be aware there is a likely 30 – 40% reduction in organisation size
Townhall – Slides will be published soon N365 Shared Tenant Town hall Events – NHSmail Support
Matt – tech update
Phil – SharePoint 2010 migration offering
Jess – MFA and a pilot around authenticator app
Tech update – Matt Brownhill provided an overview
Mailbox rules – now disabled when an account is compromised, please review them with the user before enabling
Safe Links/ Attachments – will be rolled out across the estate to all by 28th October, all user comms will be sent Monday. Existing applications accounts are excluded but new application accounts created after 28th October will be included.
MFA – thanks for those attending the webinar last week, recording is available. Please drive home the message to roll it out to your senior managers
Comms update – Chris provided a view of the comms route available to organisations and a couple of the planned comms next week
Portal release – expected next Tuesday, Self Service Password Reset will be re-enabled.
14th October 2022– Multi -Factor Authentication (MFA) webinar
NHSmail Collaboration Team minor changes have been made since the last webinar to improve the usefulness of the team and its associated channels, such as the NHSmail community support channel which has already been useful in highlighting a national issue.
SafeLinks Pilot – Safe Links and Safe Attachments are part of Microsoft Defender and will build on existing security features to protect NHSmail users from receiving and mistakenly interacting with malicious emails.
CSOC/Helpdesk interface improvements have been proposed to enhance the experience of LAs when accounts have been marked as compromised. This means the LA should know who to speak to within their own organisation when an account is compromised.
Basic authenication deprecation user comms sent via no-reply on 21 Sept to 74911 account users with legacy protocols identified as still being in place.
PLA comms will be sent on 27 Sept as a follow up.
TLS deprecation comms was sent on 22 Sept 2022.
Cotman release will be going ahead on the 27 Sep – Release notes are available on the support site – Cotman 1.0 Release – Content Summary – NHSmail Support
· Sarah Harding to give an update on the Auto expanding archive work
· Jess Davenport will cover MFA changes in the Cotman release
· TA updates from Zaheer Iqbal
· Hafsa Hersi to present a brief overview of the portal modernisation work
· Hector Pena Olarte to present on CIS smart card work
Archived LA webinar session recordings
Please visit archived LA webinar session recordings to access the webinar recordings.
|Last Reviewed Date||30/01/2023|