The Microsoft Teams Electronic Health Record (EHR) connector makes it easy for clinicians to launch a virtual patient appointment or consultation with another provider in Microsoft Teams directly from the Epic EHR system. Built on the Microsoft 365 cloud, Teams enables simple, secure collaboration and communication with chat, video, voice, and healthcare tools in a single hub that supports compliance with HIPAA, HITECH certification, and more.
The communication and collaboration platform of Teams makes it easy for clinicians to cut through the clutter of fragmented systems so they can focus on providing the best possible care. With the Teams EHR connector, you can:
- Launch Teams Virtual Appointments from your Epic EHR system with an integrated clinical workflow.
- Enable patients to join Teams Virtual Appointments from within the patient portal or through SMS.
- Support other scenarios including multi-participant, group visits, and interpreter services.
- Write metadata back to the EHR system about Teams Virtual Appointments to record when attendees connect, disconnect, and enable automatic auditing and record keeping.
- View consumption data reports and customizable Call Quality information for EHR-connected appointments.
This article describes how to set up and configure the Teams EHR connector to integrate with the Epic platform in your healthcare organization. It also gives you an overview of the Teams Virtual Appointments experience from the Epic EHR system.
Process for NHSmail organisations
- An organisation has a desire to stand up an EHR Connector.
- They contact EPIC (3rd Party) who create them an FHIR URL which is specific to the organisation.
- The organisation then raise a request for an EHR Connector with us via an SR and provide us with the URL from EPIC along with a user (nhs.net address) who will need to approve the config. This should include whether the request is for a Test or Prod Environment.
- M365 Tenant Global Admin (NHSmail) adds the required details to the https://ehrconnector.teams.microsoft.com/(FHIR URL, environment type and authorising user at the organisation).
- User provided as part of the request logs into https://ehrconnector.teams.microsoft.com/ and approves the configuration.