Reviewing your mailbox quota
- Click on the settings icon at the top right of the screen and select Options where you will see your mailbox quota detailed under accountOnce you reach your mailbox quota, a warning message will appear on screen telling you that you have exceeded the storage limit for your mailbox and you will no longer be able to send or receive emails
- If you can’t send or receive emails, empty the Deleted Items folder from the Mail screen and delete any emails that you no longer need. You can delete emails in bulk. First, select all the emails you want to delete by clicking the tick box that appears to the left of the sender’s name when you hover the cursor over it. Then choose Delete from the options displayed on the right of the screen.
When items are deleted out of the deleted items folder, they are kept for a further 180 days in a recoverable items area in line with the NHSmail Data Retention Policy. This recoverable items area is the same size as your mailbox quota (for example 4GB). This can also become full as it keeps the emails for 180 days meaning that you are unable to delete any more emails.
Automatically emptying the deleted items folder
- Click on the settings icon at the top right of the screen and select Options
- Click settings on the left side of the page
- Scroll down to message options and select the Empty the Deleted Items folder when I sign out box
- When you have finished, click save at the bottom of the page
What happens when you reach your mailbox quota
When you are 400MB from reaching your mailbox quota, you will receive an automated warning email. Once you reach your quota, you will no longer be able to send emails and will receive an automated warning alerting you to this.
You will need to reduce the size of your mailbox to be able to continue sending emails. Once you reach your quota plus an additional 1 GB, you will no longer be able to receive emails and will receive an automated email alerting you to this. You will need to reduce the size of your mailbox to be able to send or receive emails.