20/10/2023 11:45:00 AM
NHSmail Reference: INC39006265
Microsoft Reference: MO682702
Issue Status: RESOLVED
Issue Description: Users may be unable to access multiple Microsoft 365 services or experience degraded functionality.
More info: The impacted services were included, but were not limited to:
– Some users may have been unable to access the Planner service.
– Some users may have seen a delay when viewing media sent in Microsoft Teams chat.
– Some admins may have been unable to assign Microsoft Teams numbers to user accounts.
– Some users may have been unable to tag other users within Microsoft Teams.
– Some users may have been unable to post messages, send messages or create thread within Microsoft Teams.
– Some users may not have received call notifications within Microsoft Teams.
– Some users using devices connected to SIP Gateway might not have been able to call or use the device.
– Some users may not have been able to create breakout rooms.
– Some users may not have been able to start Teams Live Events.
Microsoft Defender Services:
– Some users may have experienced delays of up to 2 hours receiving cyber alerts via Microsoft Defender for Endpoint.
– Some users may have experienced delays in threat detection, hunting events, and accessing user pages within Microsoft Defender for Identity.
– Some users may have experienced delays when accessing SharePoint Online sites.
Final Update: 20/10/2023 13:26:00 PM – Microsoft restored the affected services by rerouting traffic to alternate regions to bypass the power event caused in Western Europe. Although the majority of impact was successfully restored on Friday, October 20, 2023, at approximately 8:00 AM UTC, there may have been a small amount of residual impact for some service. All services had fully recovered by Friday, October 20, 2023, at 10:22 AM UTC.
Scope of impact: Impact is specific to some users who are served through the affected infrastructure within Europe.
Root cause: A power event has occurred in Azure’s West Europe region, causing users to be unable to connect to Microsoft 365 services or experience degraded functionality.
Next steps: Microsoft will continue to closely monitor the affected environment to ensure the service remains healthy, and they will review their service resilience processes to help them reduce or avoid similar issues in the future.