1. Home
  2. What to do if your name changes

What to do if your name changes

If your name changes, for example, you get married and change your surname, you should contact the national administration service for social care by emailing careadmin@nhs.net, who will edit your name and update your email address. Your old email address will be retired but will remain associated with your new account. If another user sends an email to your old email address it will be re-directed to your new email address indefinitely.

Updated on 25/04/2019
Need Support?
Can’t find the answer you’re looking for? Don’t worry we’re here to help!
Contact Support
back to top